Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Code Walkthrough at XYZ-Cheeposoft -3

Eric - King amongst Coders (self appointed)
Bartolemy - Grand Dictator of Programming (officially appointed)
Pustule - Malapert Knave (junior programmer)

Eric : I still can’t believe you are rejecting my code because I indented it with 5 spaces instead of 4.

Bartolemy : Believe it, baby!

Pustule : Oh yea of shallow faith!

Eric : While you guys were getting coffee, I flipped through my copy of the coding guidelines. Here…it says indentation – 5 spaces. What do you say to that?

Bartolemy : Lemme see that….hmm…you seem to be right. But I was so sure….

Pustule : Hey! I know the problem. That is version 4.3.2.4 of the coding guidelines from last week. The latest one is 4.3.2.4b dated 2 days ago.

Bartolemy : You are using outdated guidelines, my friend!

Eric : Gaah!

Pustule : You are supposed to check the quality website every day for updates.

Eric : (unbelievingly) And read 1 million words of the most incredibly boring text on earth every day?

Bartolemy : Absolutely!

Pustule : Indubitably!

Eric : When do I code?

Bartolemy : You can skip lunch occasionally and code. You are too fat anyway.

Eric : I suppose being overweight is against some quality policy as well?

Bartolemy : Of course! Section 15.7.1.1. You would know it if you read the quality guidelines properly.

Pustule : I code during coffee breaks.

Eric : I know. That’s why your code brings down the corporate web server.

Bartolemy : But it is quality compliant.

Eric : Gaah! OK, I’m sick of arguing with you guys. I’ll write me a small tool to convert the indentation of my code to 4 spaces.

Bartolemy : Not so fast, bub! If you are writing a tool, it needs to be code reviewed before you run it.

Eric : Arrrgh!

Eric tears off his Speak-With-Geek T-Shirt and slams it on the floor. Then he does a Navajo fire dance on it.

Pustule : Hey! If you don’t need that T-Shirt any more, can I borrow it?

© Poltu