Saturday, June 27, 2015

Cartoons in Ancient Egypt

Besides everything else, Turin also happens to have an Egyptian museum, and not just any old Egyptian museum, but one having purportedly the best Egyptian collection outside Egypt. We spent fascinating hours in there. I did not take too many photos since I was too busy being fascinated. Besides, I find taking photos of exhibits somehow unethical. It is somewhat akin to shooting at sitting ducks. Not sporting, if you see what I mean.

But as a sort of semi-professional cartoonist, I could not help shooting these two chaps…




Now tell me, do they or do they not look like modern cartoon figures? But if the label on the shelf is to be believed, the first statuettes is that of the ancient Egyptian hippopotamus god, or something (if my memory serves me right), and the second one is of … nope, my memory fails me.

Unless, of course, the chaps at Museo Egizio are pulling our legs.

Here are a couple of other interesting exhibits…

Bullfighting in Ancient Egypt

Gymnastics in AE

This is what the top of a pyramid is supposed to look like:-