Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Trip to the coast of Brittany 5 - Chapelle de Saint-Conogan and Kouign-amann

Still in the village of Poullan-sur-Mer, we came across this charming 16th century chapel of Saint-Conogan










Now something completely different from churches and chapels. Or perhaps not. Also in the village of Poullan-sur-Mer, we had our first taste of the famous Breton buttery; surgery specialty, Kouign-amann. Just between the town of Dournenez and Poullan, we came across this heavenly looking bakery, and decided to buy our first Kouign-amann there. It was an inspired choice, because no other kouign-amman we had in this trip came even close to the taste of this first one. Too bad I did not note down the name of the bakery.

Later, I learned that Dournenez  is actually the birthplace of Kouign-amann. So, not surprising that it was the best we ever had.

Kouign-amman is made with the same dough as bread, but it is slathered, absolutely slathered, in butter and sugar, in layers and layers, before being baked until crisp and caramelized on the outside, but soft and squishy inside. It was a peace of HEAVEN, especially in the bitingly cold wind from the coast. I was careful not to eat too much at a time, because I thought it would make me sick. But funnily enough, I hate huge portions of it, and felt perfectly fine afterwards. I suppose the freezing weather helped digest it!

Here is the baby, after my first bite of it...