Saturday, August 11, 2012

Thoughts on the birth of a pigeon



Thoughts on the birth of a pigeon (two pigeons, actually)

There is this cute bird I have a thing going with. Actually, it’s more of a one-way relationship. I lay out a handful of wheat on the balcony for her every morning, while watering my plants. She gives me the beady eye and says ‘BUK’. On certain days, she says ‘BUK-BUK-BUK’ – that’s when I’m late.



Anyway, my babe made a nest a week back, under the palm pot, and laid an egg – literally, not figuratively. I’m the one who lays figurative eggs. 



A couple of eggs, actually.



Yesterday, the eggs hatched, and we had on our hands two bonnie babies.





Finally, after years of resisting parenthood, I’m DAD!!!


It’s stressful, being dad. I worry. Will they grow up fine, well-adjusted pigeons, or will they turn juvenile delinquent pigeons? Cost of education being what it is, should I start laying aside a bit every month for bird school? 

Worries, worries….

Sometimes I look back longingly on my carefree days….

At other times, I feel – perhaps it is all worth it.

*****

The story continues…

Tragedy: Brother dies, alone in the world.




Growing up alone…



The first hop on a pot



Baby showing every signs of growing into a juvenile delinquent – refuses to share seeds with mom – mom doesn’t protest.



My baby sees the big wide world – and takes a fright.



And then flies off to the neighbor’s roof



Back to base. Veteran aviator with mom.



And now I launch another baby: my first novel on the big wide web. Will this baby also fly? Let is see…