Friday, August 15, 2014

Château de Quéribus

Trip to Aude: Day5
Early next morning, we climbed the hill to Quéribus castle. Quéribus was the last Cathar stronghold to fall in the crusades against Cathars conducted by Pope Innocent III in the 13th century. It was where the last rebels had sheltered after the fall of Montségur in 1244. After the fall, it was turned into a royal château, protecting the French borders with Spain.
I'd seen ruined castles before, I would see others subsequently. But none affected me as strongly as Quéribus. I had a feeling this was 'my castle'. Perhaps I was, in a previous life, Chabert de Barbaria, the last Cathar seigneur of the château. Or perhaps I was, considering that I've turned into a humor novelist, a jester in his court.

On the way up the hill:



A view of village Cucugnian from the hill.

Inside the château:















Cannonballs from the Cathar siege embedded in the masonry, when the castle was refurbished as a royal château.

The sister château of Peyrepertuse on a neighboring hill.

You can see right up to the Spanish border from here.

A view from the ramparts